We've moved! Peek & Ponder has moved homes and is not updating this site. You will be redirected to http://peekandponder.com.

April 22, 2013

How to: Color Block Nails


Today's manicure features a simple color block design using 3 polishes and tape. Keep reading to discover how I did it.















I decided to make a design that included several blocks of color on each nail. The best way to achieve that was by using tape; it was much easier than just trying to paint it freehand and the lines came out more clean that way.  It's an incredibly simple and easy design to make.

These are the polishes I used:


OPI Berlin There Done That
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Pacific Blue (420)
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Mint Sorbet (340)
Butter London Matte Finish Shine Free Topcoat

Step 1.
I started with a base coat, as always; I didn't include it in the picture because it's pretty basic. You can  use any base coat. It just helps your manicure last longer.

Step 2.
I applied two coats of Berlin There Done That, which is a gorgeous shade of taupe. It's perfect for when you want a subdued neutral nail color.


OPI Berlin There Done That
Step 3.
I took a small piece of tape and placed  it around the halfway point of my nail so that it covered half.

Step 4.
I painted the uncovered part with Mint Sorbet. I even overlapped the edge of the tape a little.

Step 5.
I carefully pulled back the tape to reveal my two-toned nail.

I did these steps for each nail, adding the Mint Sorbet block both vertically and horizontally to make it look more interesting and abstract.


I let the Mint Sorbet dry completely before adding the third color.

Step 6.
Once dried, I repeated the process for Pacific Blue, but placed it perpendicular to Mint Sorbet.



Step 7.
I added Butter London's Matte Topcoat for a matte finish. I thought it would look best with this design instead of a shiny topcoat.



Here are the steps for the taping part in picture form:



See how easy it is? You can do this on both hands and you can use more colors as well as add blocks in different directions. I love how easy tape manicures are, so I'll be showing more designs using tape in upcoming Monday Manicures!
09 10 Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Subscribe