We've moved! Peek & Ponder has moved homes and is not updating this site. You will be redirected to http://peekandponder.com.

August 14, 2012

August Birchbox: DDF, Juicy Couture, Schick

This month, Birchbox gave us essential products for our beauty supply kit. They included a little booklet that has some great tips and beauty info along with a chance to help build a school. All month, Birchbox is donating 15% of proceeds from the Birchbox Shop to Pencils of Promise. They hope to build a school in Central America. 

You can also donate here:

What came in my box...




Beauty Fixation Makeup Remover
Full size $5 (24 applicators)

These are swabs filled with makeup remover for those on-the-go fixes. You snap the end of the swab to release the formula and apply it to the desired area with the other end. Can be used for eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, etc.

My thoughts: I love things like this. They're small enough to fit just about anywhere and great to have on hand to fix little mistakes. I already know I'll most likely use these around my eye area. I wouldn't mind paying $5 for 24 swabs just for the convenience of it.



Comodynes Self-Tanning Towelettes
Pack of 8 $13.99-14.99



These towelettes come from a Spanish brand. They are popular in Europe and supposedly give you an all-over natural tan by adjusting to your skin tone. The towelettes are soaked in a formula that is paraben-free and moisturizing. After use, there should be a difference in 3 hours.

My thoughts: I don't do much tanning or what I would call "intentional tanning" - I don't do tanning beds, spray tanning, or use any self-tanning products. I don't have a need for various tanning methods since I am naturally tan all year. With that said, I may not be the best judge of this product (or the next one), but I will give it a shot later in the year when I'm more pale. Since one towelette is supposed to be enough for your face and body and you only have to reapply every 3-4 days, I'd say that the price seems pretty reasonable (if it works well!). I love that I got 2 towelettes so I can try it a couple times.



Comodynes Hydra-Tanning Face Moisturizing Summer Glow
Full size $20.99 (1.35 fl oz)



This product comes from the same company as the towelettes (as you may have noticed), but this one is a lotion that comes in a tube and is specifically made for the face. It also adjusts to your skin color and is buildable if you use it daily. Paraben-free and dermatologist approved.

My thoughts: I got three little packets of this stuff, but I would've been more happy if it came in a little bottle or tube. When I do go to use it, I'm sure I won't be using a whole packet's worth at a time. I don't see myself using a product like this very much.



DDF Brightening Cleanser

Full size $38 (250 ml)




This gel cleanser was created by a dermatologist. It contains natural skin brighteners that lighten discolorations. It also smooths the texture of your skin.

My thoughts: I love the size of this sample (60 ml!).  I'll be able to use it for awhile and really tell if it's something I want to purchase. It claims to be gentle, which is something I always look for given my sensitive skin. I will start using this right away.



Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur
Full size $70 (2.5 oz)



This is Juicy's new scent, based on the original Viva la Juicy. Top notes include mandarin and berries; also contains notes of honeysuckle, gardenia, and jasmine.

My thoughts: I can pick up on the floral notes and a little of the berries. It smells nice, but not something totally different than what I already have.  The full size bottle looks pretty, but I always have this problem with Juicy fragrances - Love the bottles, yet not so amazed by the scents.




Schick Hydro Silk Razor
$9.99



While this is not considered a high-end product, which is what Birchbox mainly focuses on, this razor is something they were eager to share. This razor has 5 blades that are designed to hug the natural curves of your body for a close shave and also has a water-activated moisturizing serum to hydrate your skin.

My thoughts: Great bonus item on top of everything else! It's a full-size product and something I'll really put to use.


Overall thoughts
This box is definitely worth the $10 because of the amount of product I was given. I'll admit not all of the products are perfect for me, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot. This is my 10th box and so far I have not had many reasons to be dissatisfied with the service. I now have 540 points for giving my feedback, which allows me to use $50 in the Birchbox shop. Now is a good time to start shopping...


Join Birchbox!
Find more of my Birchbox reviews here.



Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored/paid review. A referral link was used in this post.

09 10 Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Subscribe